Saturday, May 22, 2021

Most of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures ever comes from the prophet’s own interpretation. No prophecy ever came from what a person wanted to say, but people led by the Holy Spirit spoke words from God.

Pages: 303-312

Most of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures ever comes from the prophet’s own interpretation. No prophecy ever came from what a person wanted to say, but people led by the Holy Spirit spoke words from God. 2 Peter 1:20-21

This afternoon, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, continuing with Part 3 The Natural Act of Reading the Bible Supernaturally, chapter twenty-one - The Ordinary Aim of Reading: Five Reasons to Define Meaning as What the Author Intended to Communicate.  Here, Piper seeks to build on the previous chapter by providing five reasons "for advocating for" reading to understand what the author intended to communicate. 

 First, "the Bible assumes it" - Piper provides a few examples, including 1 Corinthians 5:9-11, John 21:20-23, and 11:11-14 to help us see that "Jesus really does intend for us to pay close attention to his words in order to hear what he really intends to communicate."  He goes on to say that "[t]here is little good that will come if we bring a definition of meaning to the Scriptures that they themselves do not assume."

Second, we should pursue "this definition of meaning because it helps us treat others the way we would like to be treated."  Put another way, we should "[r]ead an author of any important communication the way you would like to be read if you wrote an important communication."  Piper goes on to say that "when we write important things, we want our readers to make every effort to see and honor our intentions as we wrote." Of course the implication is that the Bible an important communication and we should treat it accordingly!

Third, we read this way because we humble, assuming we seek to grow closer in our understanding of God.

Fourth, we read this way "our way of reading corresponds to the way the universe really is."  Piper shares that "there is a life-shaping objective reality outside of us that we cannot control and that we need to know and adapt to...God is absolute reality."  He goes on to say that "[h]uman authors have imparted their God-given intention to words.  Those words exist, and those meanings exist. They are objective realities outside of us.  It is our glory to seek them and find them-by reading."

Fifth, and finally, we read this way because it has authority over us.  The meaning cannot change.  The applications may change based on the individual reading Scripture and their circumstances, but the meaning is fixed. Piper writes that the Bibles teachings and their "unchangeability that lets their divine authority endure from age to age."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed great, as is Your Word and the Holy Spirit and I see Your glory in both and I am both amazed and blessed - thank You.  I am blessed and undeserving of the blessings You pour for me.  I am selfish and I have other sins.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.