Friday, May 21, 2021

The Lord is good and right; he points sinners to the right way. He shows those who are humble how to do right, and he teaches them his ways.

Pages: 295-300

The Lord is good and right; he points sinners to the right way. He shows those who are humble how to do right, and he teaches them his ways. Psalm 25:8-9

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, continuing with Part 3 The Natural Act of Reading the Bible Supernaturally, chapter twenty - The Ordinary Aim of Reading: The Meaning of Meaning. Here, Piper seeks to help us start understanding "basic, general habits of good [Bible] reading."  He encourages us to avoid looking at types of writing as a guideline for interpretation or understanding.  He really wants us to understand and interpret Scriptures with a "mind-set that usually sees the most in a text, and sees it with the most transformative authenticity and confidence, is the mind-set that lets the text itself dictate as much as possible while we scrutinize the text with all our might." He is hopeful that through his own experience he can pass on "habits of mind and heart that I think are stunningly fruitful."

His focus in this chapter is for us to understand natural (or ordinary) reading or the act of reading that we do versus the supernatural reading that occurs through the Holy Spirit that helps us. Piper writes that the "ordinary aim of reading is to grasp the meaning of the text."  He then goes on to help us understand that as we seek the meaning of the text, we are seeking "what the author intended to communicate" including emotions and what the author wanted us to experience - the author's intention or "transfer of thoughts from one mind to another."

Piper pauses further unpacking of this matter for the next and subsequent chapters. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God - the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  You are my Lord and Savior.  Without You I am nothing and condemned to death - thank You Lord for saving me...and for giving me the Holy Spirit to help me and Your Word.  I am not deserving of such love.  My sins continue...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.