Wednesday, May 19, 2021

So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard?

Pages: 277-283

So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? Galatians 3:5

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, continuing with Part 3 The Natural Act of Reading the Bible Supernaturally, chapter eighteen - Reading the Bible by Faith in the Promises of God.  Here, Piper seeks to unpack the 3rd letter of our "practical and biblical guide" - APTAT - and this 3rd letter "t" represents trust. Piper points to Hebrews 11 for scriptural evidence of how God wants us to walk and live - to do everything - by faith.  Piper writes that "the necessity of doing everything by faith - including reading the Bible - is that this is the only way God will receive the glory he should have from us in every action."  He goes on to say that "[t]rusting God for his help in what we do draws attention to his power and trustworthiness...[it] turns every act into a God-exalting virtue." Piper goes further and provides Galatians 3:5 to show us that "law keeping is not the channel through which the Spirit flows as he does he powerful work.  Rather the channel through which the Spirit flows is faith.  When we trust the promises of God, the Spirit moves to do his powerful work."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are trustworthy and faithful as all of Your promises come true - I can and do believe in the promises You make.  I have seen the work of Your hand in my life and have faith - thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving of Your faithfulness as my own faith and trust in You sometimes falters - please forgive for this and for my many sins which continue...daily...including worry, etc.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.