Sunday, May 16, 2021

Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Pages: 234-249

Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. James 1:21

This morning, I continued with John Piper's Reading the Bible Supernaturally: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God in Scripture, continuing with Part 3 The Natural Act of Reading the Bible Supernaturally, chapter fifteen - Humility Throws Open a Thousand Windows.  Here Piper builds on the previous chapter by exploring how we "act the miracle that God causes?" Piper provides a five step process using an acronym - APTAT (video describing this process here):

  1. Admit: admit that without Christ we can do nothing (John 15:5)
  2. Pray: pray for God's help, whatever form of help I need (Matthew 7:7, James 4:2, Psalm 50:15)
  3. Trust: trust in a specific promise of God that is tailor-made to my situation or a general promise (Isaiah 55:11, 41:10, Matthew 10:20, 2 Corinthians 9:8, Philippians 4:19)
  4. Act: act in obedience, expecting God to act under and in and through my acting (1 Corinthians 3:6-7, 15:10, Philippians 2:12, Romans 8:13)
  5. Thank: thank God for whatever good comes - give Him the glory (Ephesians 5:20)

Piper states that it "begins with humility" - one of the most-oft discussed topics in the Bible. He writes that "[i]t begins with a real sense of how depraved and distorted our minds are, and how readily our hearts desire other things more than we desire God." Piper uses child-like humility to discuss how we should be humble: "[t]he humility of a child, rather, is his free and willing awareness that he cannot provide for his own needs and must have an adult to meet all his needs." The Holy Spirit is central here to "humble us so that we relish the glory of Christ more than we relish our self-exaltation."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has blessed us with the Holy Spirit to humble us so that we may receive Your word, to see and savor Your glory so that we may be transformed day-by-day into Your image until glorification when we see You face to face.  Oh what a day that will be!  Thank You Jesus for all of this and all that You do!  Yet I know that You are not yet finished me and I am undeserving - there is more sanctification as my sin continues.  Please forgive me Jesus for my sins - worry, etc. help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.