Saturday, January 21, 2023

But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

Hebrews 3

But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Hebrews 3:13

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. For this morning, I maintain my focus on Hebrews 3:7-19, moving to what the commentary describes as the second division "Exhorted to Endure," which looks at Hebrews 3:12-19.  The primary takeaway for this division, as the division title indicates, is for believers to encourage and admonish one another as a means to both keep and grow in faith - this is key for believers to avoid falling away from faith (as many of the first generation Jews did when they wandered through the wilderness in search of the Promised Land).  The commentary shares that "[i]mmersing oneself in the community of saints, in the care and watchfulness of the local church, in the preaching of God’s Word, and in the exhortation of fellow believers remedies an evil, unbelieving heart. These things protect us from falling away."  We are referred to Colossians 3:16, where Paul offers the same remedy to "combat evil and unbelieving hearts".  Fellow believers - encourage one another!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a good, good God who provides my church, and my brothers and sisters in Christ who are able to exhort, admonish, and encourage me - helping me keep and sharpen my faith.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.