Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house, if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

Hebrews 3

Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house, if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. Hebrews 3:5-6

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 3:5-6, and how my commentary describes this text - with the heading "The Hope of God's House" - as the second of two divisions in Hebrews 3:1-6. The commentary starts by describing how Moses, although he is referred to as a servant, should be translated from the original Greek text therapo, which is used for those in "a position of nobility under the authority of the one who appointed him....[V]erse 5 highlights Moses’s place of rank and honor."  It then moves to look at how Moses pointed to Christ: "Moses faithfully discharged his service in the household of God by pointing to one greater than himself, Jesus Christ. Christ fulfilled all that Moses said in ways beyond Moses’s own understanding. Christ then is superior to Moses, just as Moses himself would affirm."  Next, as Jesus is compared to Moses, the commentary shares that "Moses was a servant. He was a faithful servant, but still just a servant. Jesus, however, is the Son. Jesus is not just a servant in the household; he is the One who inherits the house and functions as its Lord."  Finally, the commentary for this division examines v6 and how and it may trouble some "because it seems to suggest that our salvation is conditional."  This commentary addresses this by saying that our salvation is not conditional on works - Jesus did away with this: "[o]ur works neither save us nor keep us saved. Only Christ can save us. We must hold on to our “confidence” and retain our “boast” in the gospel and in the Lord." Persevere!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are a great God...You sent Your Son and gave me my salvation, the Holy Spirit, Your Word, my family, my church, etc....all as a means to persevere in my faith!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to Your Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.