Thursday, January 19, 2023

So we see that they were unable to enter [His rest] because of unbelief.

Hebrews 3

So we see that they were unable to enter [His rest] because of unbelief. Hebrews 3:19

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 3:7-19, and my initial unaided observations of this text. Starting tomorrow and through the day after that, I will lean on my commentary and how it describes and unpacks this text.  The text starts with "therefore" - which of course forces us to examine how this text connects with the previous text in Hebrews 3:1-6 where the primary themes (see yesterday's post and posts just prior to yesterday) are how Jesus is greater than Moses, and how Jesus is faithful.  In light of how Jesus is faithful, believers are encouraged to avoid turning away (apostasy) or losing faith/trust in Jesus in the same way that many of the Jews did in the wilderness as Moses led them through the wilderness after escaping bondage in Egypt.  Inviting sin and evil into our lives allows for such turning away and v13 speaks of these influences. Lack of faith itself is indeed a sin. V12-13 exhort believers to encourage each other, and to help other believers stay strong in their faith.  The text twice (Hebrews 7:11, 15) refers to Psalm 95:7-11 in the warning the author of Hebrews uses to "if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."  The text ends by describing the consequences of falling away or losing faith - no rest! As an antidote to such falling away or losing faith, as it says in v14, let us "hold our original confidence [in Him] firm to the end."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You ARE faithful and I need Your provision and my brothers and sisters in Christ to help me hold firm to You until the end.  I know things get very hard but You will never leave or forsake me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such faithfulness.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.