Monday, January 16, 2023

Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house, if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope.

Hebrews 3

Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house, if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. Hebrews 3:6

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is initial observations of Hebrews 3:1-6. My bible refers to these verses with the heading "Jesus Greater Than Moses", as these verses contrast Moses to Jesus.  As a starting point, I went to Deuteronomy 34 where, upon Moses' death, scripture offers the following as an epitaph: 

And there has not arisen a prophet since in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, none like him for all the signs and the wonders that the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land, and for all the mighty power and all the great deeds of terror that Moses did in the sight of all Israel. Deuteronomy 34:10-12

Hebrews' likely audience was Jewish believers, and this commentary indicates that this audience was "intimately familiar with the Old Testament, particularly The Pentateuch" (first five books of the Bible, including Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy) - where Moses of course plays a key role. So, while today's believers may wonder why they need to compare Moses to Jesus, an understanding of this book's original audience provides important context.  

For this morning, I zero in on v6 (and how v1-5 build up to this verse) where scripture indicates how Christ is faithful over God's house, which this verse defines as the church, if we remain confident and hopeful in Him.  Let us strive to maintain our confidence and hope in Him!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who is full of grace for me, and You are faithful - I know You will never leave or forsake me.  Thank You Jesus for Your faithfulness.  I am not deserving of such faithfulness.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.