Monday, June 7, 2010

Ritual of the Old Covenant (Testament) vs New Covenent (Testament)

Today's Reading
Exodus Chps 24 to 31

Here we see God giving Moses a lengthy set of detailed instructions for a tabernacle to be built, the ark, a courtyard, garments for the priests, and for consecration of the priests. Finally, God gave to Moses the two tablets of the 10 commandments:

18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God. (Exodus 31: 18).

Of course a key question to ask is the extent to which so much detail is required and why is it important. One can surmise that it was a test of the Israelites' faith. The God of the Old Testament is one of ritual. The God of the New Testament - Jesus - is not one of ritual. Instead our relationship is such that anyone can initiate but only Jesus can grant - and he does so through grace alone. While Jesus calls us to love, know Him, etc. there is no formula for us to follow to be in relationship with God Jesus. For this we are to be thankful.

My Prayer: Lord, thank you that came to earth to save me and you did so not through anything I did but through grace alone. I am thankful for your love for me and I pray that you can continue to grow in me and transform my heart to be more like yours and that I can glorify you with my life.