Friday, December 17, 2010

What Is God's Idea of Intimacy Between Two Men

Today's Reading
1 Samuel Chp 18

Many who know me know that I am a strong advocate for men to growth in their faith alongside other men.  This is clearly what God intends.  Here in 1 Samuel, there is greater clarity and definition of this intimacy.

Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself.

This one speaks for itself.  Yet there is more...

And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself.

This last one above is less instinctive.  Above and beyond any natural connections or areas of life where there is common ground that we share with another man, there needs to be an explicit "unnatural" step of a covenant that cements any bond.

For me, I see:

(1) Oneness
I am in someone else's life and someone else is in my life - to the point where one life is indistinguishable from another.  The common denominator is faith and love of God.

(2) Love
This love builds on the common bond of faith and love of God and extends into natural connections where earthly life is shared.

(3) Covenant
This is a commitment that pushes us to support each other through thick and thin, much like a marriage.  When it does not feel natural, we do it anyway - the it being love someone as you love yourself and to support each other even when you don't feel like it.

My Prayer: Lord, you have placed men in my life that have proven to be brothers, in Christ and otherwise.  I am in awe of how you designed this and your plan for me played itself out in terms of their blessing for my life.  Thank you for these men.  Forgive me if I put too much faith in my own plan and if I am not the brother you want me to be.  Help me create brothers for other men, for me to be a brother and help me submit to your will for me to have brothers in my life.