Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Powerful Lessons When We Don't Like God's Plan

2 Kings 5

Here is Naaman, a valiant solider who had leprosy.  Elisha provides guidance to Naaman for him to be cured but Naaman does not like this guidance:

11 But Naaman went away angry and said, “I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Couldn’t I wash in them and be cleansed?” So he turned and went off in a rage. (verses 11-12)

Ultimately, Naaman relents after his servants implore him to do so and he is ultimately cured.

Next we have Elisha's servant Gehazi who is not happy that Elisha treated Naaman with such mercy even though he still serves a godless King:

After Naaman had traveled some distance, 20 Gehazi, the servant of Elisha the man of God, said to himself, “My master was too easy on Naaman, this Aramean, by not accepting from him what he brought. As surely as the LORD lives, I will run after him and get something from him.” (verses 19-20)

The question for me is
- am I too blind/deaf/dumb to not see God's guidance clearly?
- or am I too stubborn and fixated on my own plan to see the wisdom of God's plan?

I need to stay close to God so I can both hear God's words and also that I can see the wisdom of his plan and submit/obey.

My Prayer: Lord, again - time after time, day after day, I see the awesome nature of your plan unfolding in my life and how you provide - ALWAYS.  Forgive me for my fear, my concern, and my doubt - I must trust you!  Help me stay close to you, hear you, see you, love, follow you, submit to you and obey you.