Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Humility Is Important No Matter What

2 Chronicles Chp 12

1 After Rehoboam’s position as king was established and he had become strong, he and all Israel with him abandoned the law of the LORD. 2 Because they had been unfaithful to the LORD, Shishak king of Egypt attacked Jerusalem in the fifth year of King Rehoboam. 3 With twelve hundred chariots and sixty thousand horsemen and the innumerable troops of Libyans, Sukkites and Cushites that came with him from Egypt, 4 he captured the fortified cities of Judah and came as far as Jerusalem. 

 5 Then the prophet Shemaiah came to Rehoboam and to the leaders of Judah who had assembled in Jerusalem for fear of Shishak, and he said to them, “This is what the LORD says, ‘You have abandoned me; therefore, I now abandon you to Shishak.’”

 6 The leaders of Israel and the king humbled themselves and said, “The LORD is just.” (verses 1-6)

What strikes me here is not that the Israelites abandoned the Lord or that they were attacked by Egypt and defeated because of this, it is that Israel responded that "The Lord is just".

This is not only an acknowledgement of sin but also that judgement is due from Him and Him alone.  If we are to make Him our God we must bow to his judgement and God alone can serve justice and we must say that He is just, whether we like His justice or not.  We do not have any right to refuse God's justice - it is what it is and we must accept it as His will for us to follow.

Our humility is important because it establishes our relationship with God - that He is supreme and that we are to serve His will. 

God responds to humility:

12 Because Rehoboam humbled himself, the LORD’s anger turned from him, and he was not totally destroyed. Indeed, there was some good in Judah. (verse 12)

My Prayer: You alone reign supreme.  You are perfect, your work is perfect and your are pure and holy.  I know I am not and I need you.  Forgive me for how I fall short and help me lean on you to be refined, purified and transformed.  Help me remain humble and help me submit to your will, even in cases where you dole out justice that I do not like.  The Lord is just.