Friday, April 22, 2011

We Should Not Worry About Physical Things...It Is What Is In Our Heart

1 Chronicles Chp 17

I am struck by David's initial focus on a physical home for the ark where God's presence can be felt.

1 After David was settled in his palace, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent.”  (verse 1)


And even more struck by God's response to Nathan on this subject.

4 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD says: You are not the one to build me a house to dwell in. 5 I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another. 6 Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their leaders whom I commanded to shepherd my people, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’ (verses 4-6)

First of all, why should we as humans think that we know what God needs?  Not to judge David (because we all do this from time to time), but how foolish!  Second, we should know that God is everywhere and most importantly he is in our hearts.  And finally, God does not want us to focus on earthly matters such as this.

We are most importantly to love Him and to love others.

My Prayer: Lord, your love is great...and it is so great that it cannot be contained!  Forgive me when I place walls around our faith and our love.  I should not compartmentalize and say that this place is not for God's love or this person is not for God's love - forgive me indeed!  Please Lord help me live life knowing that your love abounds and it cannot be contained and that I am to let my love of you flow freely and thoroughly from me both to you and to others with a purpose of glorifying you, serving you and bringing others to you.