Wednesday, August 19, 2015

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

James 3

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. v17

James warns us about evil and sin such as envy and selfish ambition.  Scripture elsewhere warns us of similar pursuits:

Proverbs 19:21 > Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

We should instead focus on pursuing and loving God with all of heart, soul, mind, and strength. 

Deuteronomy 6:5 > Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
Matthew 22:37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

To reinforce James' claim that wisdom from heaven is pure:  
Luke 1:37 > For no word from God will ever fail. 

Focus on God and His Desires and Word, not on self or earthly pursuits.

My Prayer: Lord, You are a great God, capable of all things, creator of all things, all knowing, and You chose me, dying for me a gruesome death so that I would not be slave to my sin and have eternity in heaven with You...how awesome are You!  I am not worthy of what You have done for me and continue to do for me...I am broken and I sin.  I worry far too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from my sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me follow Your desires alone!  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength and comfort.  Please heal and cure her of this cancer.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.