Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

Proverbs 4

How things are written are of course clues to message that is being delivered...in today's case it starts out with the words "above all else". 

23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
    keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
    fix your gaze directly before you.

 There are other clues today, specifically, repetition or saying the same thing over and over again although using different words:


Get wisdom, get understanding;
    do not forget my words or turn away from them.

...

21 Do not let them out of your sight,
    keep them within your heart;

 ...

25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
    fix your gaze directly before you.

 In the case of above - the message is about FOCUS.  Where should we focus - and the answer is of course Jesus.  This is amplified elsewhere throughout scripture, including here:

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  Hebrews 12:1-3

Perseverance is something that means several things....I must continue to study hard in the program where I am at right now; most importantly it is about staying focused on Jesus over a lifetime.  We will endure much and the "race" will be painful as any endurance race is but we should focus on the finish line....

My Prayer: Lord - what an awesome God you are!  You know our lives our difficult in many ways and you use all of our lives to build our faith and for Your glory - how You are able to use someone as ordinary as I am is incredible! I am weak however and my faith is weak...I am weak in prayer time and this is yet another aspect of my faith where even though I am weak, You love me anyway.  Thank You that You love me anyway.  Please forgive me for my weak prayer  life and help me with this.  Build up my faith and help me have a strong faith in all areas so that I can be fully used for Your delight and glory.