Monday, August 6, 2012

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

Proverbs 4

The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.  Though it cost all you have, get understanding.  (v7)

As I go back to school it is interesting to note how my listening skills need great improvement.   My poor listening skills reveal much, including:

Pride: I speak often to try to show others my knowledge or intelligence - SIN!
Selfishness: I speak over others - SIN!.

Yesterday's sermon on supernatural (or uncommon) kindness was also revealing in that Pastor Scott spoke about Jesus' kindness that he demonstrated to others - even to his own detriment (i.e. dying on the cross).

I need God's help to listen - as this will help me gain wisdom.  But first I must be willing to deny myself the prideful and selfish habits I have that get in the way.  I must humbly accept that listening is a way of putting others first.

My Prayer: Lord, You are available any time I am to listen to anything I have to say - that You are so available and so patient is amazing.  I need You because I am broken Lord in that I am full of both pride and selfishness.  I thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me for this sin.  Refine me and purify me Lord Jesus and make me more like You.