Saturday, January 17, 2015

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Romans 13

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. v1

As I posted yesterday, I am struggling with my relationship with my boss and today's message from Paul is equally encouraging in terms of providing guidance and wisdom from Him about how I can improve this situation.

Paul's instructions go further:

Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. Romans 13:2-5

While these verses primarily focus on my response to public officials, I believe these verses apply equally to my managers at work.  John MacArthur, quoted below supports my belief.

"Since He alone is the sovereign ruler of the universe (Pss. 62: 11; 103: 19; 1 Tim. 6: 15), He has instituted four authorities on earth: (1) the government over all citizens; (2) the church over all believers; (3) the parents over all children; and (4) the masters over all employees. appointed."

MacArthur, John (2005-05-10). The MacArthur Bible Commentary (Kindle Locations 51081-51083). Thomas Nelson. Kindle Edition. 


My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You indeed a great God and You know everything about me even well before I was born.  You intend only good for my life and You have blessed me tremendously.  I am not deserving of such rich blessings.  I am harsh with my words, thoughts, actions, etc, I am quick to anger, slow to listen, full of pride, etc.  Thank You for Your unbounding love anyway.  Please forgive me for my sins today.  Help me turn from these sins and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.