Thursday, January 14, 2016

God is a righteous judge, a God who displays his wrath every day.

Psalm 7

God is a righteous judge, a God who displays his wrath every day. v11

Many people, including myself, have viewed God's wrath as a bad thing.  Yet God's wrath also leads to justice and training.  When we view wrath in terms of the positive outcomes it can achieve, we better appreciate the perfection and goodness of God.  Everything God does is good and perfect.  I know for myself that God has been disappointed and angry with my sin, and so he has either allowed me to experience the consequences of my sin, or he has disciplined/tested me with difficult circumstances.  Either way, God's discipline and wrath has resulted in a purification and training process for me - all good.

The prophet Zechariah speaks to God's refiner's fire and how it produces a more pure child of God, one that is closer to God's image:

On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity....This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, They are my people,and they will say, The Lord is our God.  Zechariah13:1, 9

Circling back to Psalm 7:11, we should look DAILY for how God's wrath (pruning) is producing fruit (see also John 15) in our lives.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God, abounding in love for me...even though I am certain I am not deserving.  Thank You Jesus!  I am easily distracted by worldly matters.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome my sin.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects of chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin, and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me every day.