Monday, January 18, 2016

He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity.

Psalm 9

He rules the world in righteousness and judges the peoples with equity. v8  

Assuming one agrees that equity, fairness, and justice are good things...it is certainly a good thing that God is equitable in how He judges us....He is certainly capable of being a perfect judge - He knows our heart (Psalm 139) and as such knows our motives and intent 100% of the time.  Yet what we need to keep in mind is that God is not only just and perfect in how He judges us, He is also just and perfect in how He punishes us.  This latter truth is more difficult for us to agree with and understand than the former truth. See my post from a few days ago for thoughts about how we as believers can approach understanding of this truth.  We don't know what God is doing when He dispenses punishment or wrath and it is often hard to swallow.  However, we should all take comfort that David's claim from v8 is accurate - "He rules the world" and God is in control...

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who is fair in both  judgement and punishment.  You know what is best for all of us and both Your will and Your works/actions are perfect.  I have experienced this in my own life.  Thank You Jesus.  Yet I am not worthy of such a God...I continue to be harsh with my words.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects of chemo and radiation.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin, and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.