Thursday, November 9, 2017

If I find favor in the Lord’s eyes, he will bring me back and let me see it and his dwelling place again. But if he says, ‘I am not pleased with you,’ then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him.

2 Samuel 15

If I find favor in the Lord’s eyes, he will bring me back and let me see it and his dwelling place again. But if he says, ‘I am not pleased with you,’ then I am ready; let him do to me whatever seems good to him. v25-26

Once again we find David seeking God's direction which is in direct contrast to Absalom who is now plotting against his father.  Absalom lacks humility, does not seek God's direction, and seeks glory, status and power for himself:


And Absalom would add, “If only I were appointed judge in the land! Then everyone who has a complaint or case could come to me and I would see that they receive justice.” v4

I am guilty of such desires and acting on such desires.  When God blesses us, as he did with Absalom with a position of influence and wealth, we often believe it is from our own hand.  Again, I am guilty of such thinking.  We need to remind ourselves that what we have is not from our own hand.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

 We are to use what God provides to us for His glory - we need to be good stewards of His blessings.  See the Parable of the Bags of Gold (or Talents).

See also posts on arrogance and humility.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has blessed me beyond what I deserve - my cup overflows.  Yet I am undeserving and I often think (and act on) of how I did this or that or what I can do for me (vs You) with these blessings...please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome my sin and turn from it towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses for Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.