Monday, November 6, 2017

She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The Lord loved him; and because the Lord loved him, he sent word through Nathan the prophet to name him Jedidiah.

2 Samuel 12

She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon. The Lord loved him; and because the Lord loved him, he sent word through Nathan the prophet to name him Jedidiah. v24-25

Through Nathan, the Lord strongly rebukes David.  Yet, at the same time God is full of grace. 

Nathan replied, “The Lord has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. v13

Within this grace - David does not escape consequences.

But because by doing this you have shown utter contempt for the Lord, the son born to you will die.”  v14

Yet within the consequences, we can see God at work - in v24-25, David and Bathsheba have a son, Solomon, and this son is loved by the Lord and will go on and do great things for the Lord.

This chapter is a great example of God's perfect justice.

We are forgiven - yet we don't escape consequences for our sin.  God gives us grace - which we don't deserve, and we don't get what we do deserve.  And God redeems us and our sin for His glory - as He is able to take a broken and sinful world and use it for His purposes.  We cannot fully understand how God works (Isaiah 55:8), yet we can come to understand and appreciate God as perfect in all ways.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God, full of love and compassion for me.  Thank You!  I am not deserving of such compassion because I often fail to show compassion to others. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses for them.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.