Friday, November 3, 2017

You and your sons and your servants are to farm the land for him and bring in the crops, so that your master’s grandson may be provided for. And Mephibosheth, grandson of your master, will always eat at my table.” (Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.)

2 Samuel 9

You and your sons and your servants are to farm the land for him and bring in the crops, so that your master’s grandson may be provided for. And Mephibosheth, grandson of your master, will always eat at my table.” (Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants.) v10

A very wise man recommended that I read the bible from beginning to end and not jump into any given book. I can now see why this is very wise indeed.  At the very least, 1 and 2 Samuel must be read together so that we can have the context of how Saul was very jealous and vengeful to David - yet even after Saul's death in today's verses David seeks to do good to Saul and his heirs (and servants!) - reminding me that regardless of how blessed I am (see 2 Samuel 8) my blessings are only through the hand of God and I am to be a good steward with the time, talents and treasures God puts in my care.  We must also be kind to everyone - including our enemies - because we are not in a position to judge who is deserving and who is not.  ALL are deserving of God's love.

In a time of great blessing, David seeks to do good - as we should as well.  Today in particular I am touched by David's efforts because I have my own son with special needs (Down Syndrome).

Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:16-17

God please help me be generous.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God whose love and compassion is more than I sometimes can bear or understand.  It is overwhelming.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love.  I too often am harsh with my words.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.