Friday, June 12, 2020

All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord....The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the heart....A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart.

Various Proverbs 

All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord....The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the heart....A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart. Proverbs 16:2, 17:3, 21:2

Day 137 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. This morning my focus includes proverbs that examine sincere motivation (motive and the heart, false worship, and duplicity), concern for others (love and faithfulness, love, hatred, and compassion, kindness and mercy, and overstaying a welcome), and concern for self (pride and humility, selfishness, jealousy, envy, and greed). 

All of today's themes are important and it is of course challenging to find one for close examination but today I am going to zero in on the importance of one's heart condition.  Regardless of your faith or not, everyone generally wants to be a "good" person and with today's current political climate there is emphasis on tolerance, love, etc. Yet my view (coming from scripture), is that we are all sinful and we have been since The Fall.  The only way for us to truly transform ourselves into someone who loves and is genuinely good (or better) is through heart transformation and this is only achieved through Jesus Christ. 

God knows our heart and with His help (as we draw near to Him) He transforms our heart and life. 

All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord. Proverbs 16:2 

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the Lord tests the heart. Proverbs 17:3 

A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart. Proverbs 21:2

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

The hope is that as we are transformed into more of God's image, then we will demonstrate "fruits of the Spirit" that can help us truly be better people and hopefully achieve the unity and harmony so desperately needed.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Galatians 5:22-23

I am of the opinion that what we face today is a "Jesus" problem in the sense that we don't have enough faith in Him to do what ONLY He can do.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has SO generously attended to my heart and transformed my heart and life and I am grateful for the many resulting blessings.  I also know I am undeserving - my sin continues.  Please forgive me for my sin and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.