Saturday, June 13, 2020

Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end....Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city.

Various Proverbs 

Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end....Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city. Proverbs 29:11, 16:32

Day 138 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with a study of the Proverbs - primarily of Solomon, but including the Proverbs of other authors as well. This morning my focus includes proverbs that discuss control of self (self-control, rashness, temper and patience, drunkenness and gluttony, adultery, and prostitution).

Like my post yesterday where there were multiple important topics worthy of greater consideration, today as well I zero in on one of the many topics covered by today's proverbs.  From a biblical perspective, self-control is a bit of an oxymoron given we are (generally speaking) either slave to sin or a slave to God and that none of us truly experience free will. Against this backdrop, I am proof of the harm done due to rashness (Proverbs 29:11), and the joy of God-control.  I say God-control because I don't want self-control - I am a sinful person and left to my own devices and self-control of course I will sin.  Who would want this?  Instead I seek to draw closer and closer to the one true God who can transform my heart and life into more of His image.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who HAS transformed my heart and life into more of Your image and I am grateful...very grateful.  Of course there is more work to do but I am very grateful for Your mercy and compassion.  I am also undeserving of Your mercy and compassion.  I continue to sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.