Monday, June 8, 2020

Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel, who alone does marvelous deeds. Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory.

1 Kings 4, 7, 9-10; 2 Chronicles 1, 7-9, and Psalm 72 

Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel, who alone does marvelous deeds. Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Psalm 72:18-19

Day 133 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues with the construction of Solomon's palace, a palace for Solomon's wife, and with the construction of cities within Solomon's kingdom.  God appears to Solomon, reassures him that his family will remain on the throne forever, that He will hear Israel's cries for help in their time of need, yet also warns Solomon that Israel must be obedient otherwise they will face destruction (1 Kings 9:1-9).

My reading this morning also describes the extent of Solomon's wisdom and wealth:

God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore. Solomon’s wisdom was greater than the wisdom of all the people of the East, and greater than all the wisdom of Egypt. He was wiser than anyone else, including Ethan the Ezrahite—wiser than Heman, Kalkol and Darda, the sons of Mahol. And his fame spread to all the surrounding nations. He spoke three thousand proverbs and his songs numbered a thousand and five. He spoke about plant life, from the cedar of Lebanon to the hyssop that grows out of walls. He also spoke about animals and birds, reptiles and fish. From all nations people came to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, sent by all the kings of the world, who had heard of his wisdom. 1 Kings 4:29-34 

King Solomon was greater in riches and wisdom than all the other kings of the earth. 1 Kings 10:23

The extent of Solomon's wisdom and wealth not only brought prosperity and peace to Israel, but it attracted others.

The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart. 1 Kings 10:24

The queen of Sheba sought an audience with Solomon and traveled over a 1000 miles to see Solomon (1 Kings 10:1).

She was duly impressed and even praised God:

"Praise be to the Lord your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on the throne of Israel. Because of the Lord’s eternal love for Israel, he has made you king to maintain justice and righteousness.” 1 Kings 10:9

Solomon understands the source of his wisdom and wealth AND its purpose - by God and for God.

Praise be to the Lord God, the God of Israel, who alone does marvelous deeds. Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Psalm 72:18-19

My Prayer: Lord Your wisdom is great and You provide both abundantly and for all of my needs - I am not deserving of such blessings. I sin daily.  I worry and I have other sins. I am grateful for Your many mercies and compassion and of course for Your death on the cross as it provides forgiveness of sin and everlasting life...again both of which I am not deserving.  Yet I am thankful.  Please do forgive my for my sins of worry, etc.  Help me overome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.