Saturday, October 5, 2024

Be silent before the Lord GOD! For the day of the LORD is near; the LORD has prepared a sacrifice and consecrated his guests.

Zephaniah 1:7

Be silent before the Lord GOD! For the day of the LORD is near; the LORD has prepared a sacrifice and consecrated his guests. Zephaniah 1:7

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For this morning, my study focus is an unassisted review of the third division per my commentary: v7.  Here, we have a scene much like that of a court room where in vv1-6 Zephaniah lays out the charges against Judah (see previous posts) - see vv4-6 where Zephaniah shares God's judgement that Judah has worshiped other gods besides the One True God, and by definition Judah has turned away from God and not "inquired of Him." This is a very serious charge considering how we are to love God first and others second as the most important commandments (see also Matthew 22:36-40, Exodus 20).  The wages of sin - ALL sin - are death; see Romans 6:23. In light of the charges against Judah and how the punishment previously described by Zephaniah (see vv2-4) - how God will destroy everything, including Judah - Zephaniah now turns to Judah (and by implication all believing readers) to sit in silence as it is now God's time to force Judah's hand into listening to Him, something they should be doing daily.  God wants us to love Him, listen to Him, be obedient to Him, and ultimately to glorify to Him - this is why we exist.  We don't exist to pursue whatever dreams WE think we want.  Our dreams - if not aligned with God's will - will become idols just as those pursued by Judah.  Much like a parent disciplines a child, in v7 Zephaniah is seeking Judah's silence because God is full of love, patience, etc. and while He could have wiped out Judah WITHOUT any warning, He sees a teaching moment and ultimately out of his compassion, He is preparing an opportunity for Judah to repent. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is full of patience and grace - often giving those who fall away opportunities to repent and return to Your love arms.  Thank You Jesus for saving me and for the grace You give me.  I am not deserving of such love and grace.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us led Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.