Thursday, October 3, 2024

“I will stretch out my hand against Judah and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem;and I will cut off from this place...those who have turned back from following the LORD, who do not seek the LORD or inquire of him.”

Zephaniah 1:4-6

“I will stretch out my hand against Judah and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem;and I will cut off from this place...those who have turned back from following the LORD, who do not seek the LORD or inquire of him.” Zephaniah 1:4,6

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For this morning, I move on and do an unassisted review of vv4-6. My first two posts on Zephaniah, covering vv1-3, describe how God is angry at Judah and His wrath and judgement is forthcoming.  In vv4-6, we understand why.  Judah has pursued idol worship, have turned their back on the Lord and no longer seek Him.  This is a message for all of humanity, for believers and non-believers alike.  For non-believers, You are urged to turn to God, to repent of Your sin and be saved to experience the joy and grace Jesus Christ.  For believers, we are urged to go to God daily for his mercies that are new every morning and never cease (see Lamentations 3:22-23).  We must not only be saved but we must continue to abide in Him that saves and develop a daily, lifelong personal relationship with Jesus.  If we don't, we must look long and hard at how we are spending our time, perhaps pursuing earthly comforts and activities and not God. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You for being my personal Lord and Savior.  I am not deserving of such amazing grace that is new every morning and never ceases.  My sin continue...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.