Friday, October 4, 2024

“I will stretch out my hand against Judah and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem;and I will cut off from this place...those who have turned back from following the LORD, who do not seek the LORD or inquire of him.”

Zephaniah 1:4-6

“I will stretch out my hand against Judah and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem;and I will cut off from this place...those who have turned back from following the LORD, who do not seek the LORD or inquire of him.” Zephaniah 1:4,6

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For this morning, I lean on my commentary for a review of vv4-6. The commentary emphasizes that while God is clearly angry at His people for their idol worship and for turning their back on God, we are not to view God as vengeful.  We are rhetorically challenged to view God rightly.  "God is a God of grace and compassion. In light of that, then, how are we to understand His anger, especially toward His own people?"  The commentary points to Jesus and how in Romans, Paul describes that there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1-2). We are then encouraged to see how we are all fair game for God's corrective discipline and referred to Hebrews 12:5-6. Finally, the commentary urges us to see the grace of God in Zephaniah where God's anger should be viewed as an opportunity to repent and return to God.  The Old Testament is an example of God's patience for His people - yes, He did rebuke and punish His people, but not because there were not deserving.  Also, throughout redemptive history, God was faithful in His promises, and He pointed to Jesus and gave people hope through the promise of a coming Messiah.  Jesus is the One.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a God of grace and compassion as You took on flesh and died for me so that I could have forgiveness of sins and eternal life.  Thank You Jesus for my salvation.  I am not deserving of such blessings!  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.