Wednesday, October 2, 2024

“I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD.

Zephaniah 1:1-3

“I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD. Zephaniah 1:2

I continue my study of Zephaniah using the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For this morning, my focus is vv1-3 and the commentary for this first division of the text vv1-18.  Here, I build on yesterday's post, complementing my own reading of the text with that of the commentary specifically for this division - excerpts from the commentary for this division:

  • division title per the commentary: "The Whole Earth Will Be Destroyed"
  •  "In what can be viewed as one of the more depressing prophetic books, Zephaniah attempts to awaken the people to their disobedience. In an attempt to convey the seriousness of this charge, God, speaking through Zephaniah, threatens not only to judge them, but to wipe them off the face of the earth. Not only will He wipe them off the face of the earth, He makes the claim that He will wipe every living thing off the face of the earth. This is a deep and devastating warning that Judah must heed."
  • Believers and non-believers alike are warned to not take this admonition lightly, and to take it seriously even today, that our sin DOES have consequences and we are to live in reverent fear of God as He is in control and it is only through His grace that we have breath and life. 
  • We are warned not to turn earthly comforts and success into idols; instead we should seek to please God - this is why we exist.
  •  We are referred to scripture that describes how we must choose God over false images of Him; see also Matthew 6:24 and Joshua 24:15.
  • "While we often do not like to speak of God’s anger, we cannot study Zephaniah with integrity and not recognize that God is not just a little displeased; no, He is very angry, and His anger has very real and dangerous implications." Ultimately the book of Zephaniah will show a powerful portrait of God's grace but this grace only comes into sharp focus in light of our own sin as demonstrated by Judah. 

Repent and turn to Jesus - Our Creator and the Living God!
 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace - thank You Jesus for saving and loving me while I was still an enemy of You and hostile to You.  I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.