Tuesday, October 1, 2024

“I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD.

Zephaniah 1:1-3

“I will utterly sweep away everything from the face of the earth,” declares the LORD. Zephaniah 1:2

This morning I embark on a new study of Zephaniah and I lean on the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary volume for this book.  For this morning, I orient myself to the book by reading the first three verses and the commentary's introduction to vv1:1-18 which the commentary describes as having seven divisions. V2 clearly shows God's anger directed towards Judah - the southern kingdom of the divided Israel. Excerpts from the commentary's introduction to vv1:1-18:

  • Main Idea: The book of Zephaniah is the story of God’s powerful judgment and His equally astonishing grace.
  • The people of Judah ignored Zephaniah's call for repentance. "[T]he people of Judah had disregarded God for many, many years and found themselves now being called to repentance, only they seem to have had little interest in turning from their sin."
  •  Zephaniah "is the great-great grandson of King Hezekiah. Hezekiah, of course, is known for his illness and request of the Lord for longer life, which God answered by extending his life 15 years. During this time he fathered Manasseh, who would follow him as the next king of Israel. Unfortunately, Manasseh was an evil king who did great spiritual damage in Israel. Following Manasseh was King Amon, who continued Manasseh’s legacy and did not honor God with his leadership. As a result Israel continued to be mired in spiritual decline. Manasseh and Amon ruled for a total of 57 years, and Josiah came to power after Amon. Josiah was a different ruler than his two predecessors; he desired to rule in a way that honored God and that called the people to repentance. Zephaniah was a contemporary of Josiah, and it was in the midst of this environment that Zephaniah began to prophesy."
  • Zephaniah was a man of influence due to his family lineage as well as affluence.  Yet his influence was not well received when he called for repentance. The commentary estimates the date of this book as being written from 641 to 622 BC.  
  • "The dominant themes of the book are pretty clear. This is a book of judgment, a call to repentance, and a declaration of God’s gracious work on behalf of His people."

As a believer - someone with the benefit of having Christ in their heart - I can't imagine life before Christ and how hard it may have been for the people of God to remain faithful to Him.  My reading of God's anger towards Judah and all of humanity at the time of Zephaniah is no surprise and it calls to mind Hebrews 11 - the chapter in Hebrews often referred to as the "the Hall of Faith" for how it describes how those in the Old Testament (see vv13-16 in particular) did not have Jesus but saw Him from afar and lived faithfully believing in God's promises, including the promise of His Son.  The world today may seem as if there is no hope but with Jesus we always have hope, if not in this life, but in the next. Rejoice in this hope!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for going to the cross, willingly laying down Your life for me.  I am not deserving...no not by a long shot.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.