Monday, September 13, 2010

Talk About God All the Time!

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 6:4-9


As Moses continues to address the Israelites one last time before they cross the Jordan into the promised land, he exhorts the Israelites to:

5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. (verses 5-8)

These commandments are to be upon your hearts - read the commandments, study them, live them.

Next Moses says "[i]mpress them on your children". The word impess is particularly instructive here. The dictionary defines it as a verb " to affect especially forcibly or deeply : gain the admiration or interest of". Again, the focus is on living the commandments in such a way as to make people take notice.

Finally, Moses says talk about them all of the time - be in conversation with God always, thanking him, worshipping him, etc.

My Prayer: Lord, just as you delivered the Jews out of Egypt you brought me out of bondage - bondage to sin. You have also transformed my heart and my life - and you continue to do wonders. Thank you for how you bless me with my family and my Christian brothers and sisters. Forgive me when I neglect you and help me with my prayer life.