Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tithes...and Your Blessings Have a God Given Purpose

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 14

As Moses continues to instruct the Israelites in the ways of the Lord, he reminds them of the command to tithe:

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year.

Moses also reminds us that our tithes have a God-given purpose:

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

...

26Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice.

...

27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

...

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

God wants us to use our blessings for his glory and his purpose. I need to remind myself that my blessings are not my blessings; they come from the Lord and I need to use them for His will and glory.

My Prayer: Lord, I have experienced difficult times and I have seen you provide and you provide abundantly. You know my needs more than I do and I need to fall to my knees to acknowledge that your will and desire, and your plans for me are more important than my own. I must come to the realization that I desperately need you and I thank you for how you are working on my heart. Forgive me for my sinful acts and desires, whatever they may because they are numerous. Purify me and draw me nearer to you. Help me develop a deeper desire for you. Use me and the church and the event tomorrow to reach the men in the community of SB.