Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Be VERY Careful to Listen to God's Will

Today's Reading
Joshua Chp 22

Here we see how Joshua praises the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh, for their obedience to the Lord:

Then Joshua summoned the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh 2 and said to them, “You have done all that Moses the servant of the LORD commanded, and you have obeyed me in everything I commanded. 3 For a long time now—to this very day—you have not deserted your fellow Israelites but have carried out the mission the LORD your God gave you. 4 Now that the LORD your God has given them rest as he promised, return to your homes in the land that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you on the other side of the Jordan. 5 But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in obedience to him, to keep his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.”

In the same breath, Joshua warns the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh to be "very careful".  Why?  Because he knows how quickly we can fall away - we are but human, and he has seen how quickly the Israelites disobeyed the Lord.

After the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh reach their homes on the west side of the Jordan (not on the same side at the other tribes of Israel), they built an altar and without knowing more than this, the Israelites confronted the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh to scold them of building an altar of worship to other Gods.  Yet, the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh and explain themselves and the Israelites find favor with the altar.

32 Then Phinehas son of Eleazar, the priest, and the leaders returned to Canaan from their meeting with the Reubenites and Gadites in Gilead and reported to the Israelites. 33 They were glad to hear the report and praised God. And they talked no more about going to war against them to devastate the country where the Reubenites and the Gadites lived.

 34 And the Reubenites and the Gadites gave the altar this name: A Witness Between Us—that the LORD is God. 

While this story seems to end well - it raises important questions, such as:
- was this altar truly God's will or was it the will of the Reubenites and the Gadites? 
- to what extent do I "take license" with God's will and substitute my own will?

Needless to say, I (and we) need to be very careful indeed.  I know how powerful my own selfish interests are and in a heartbeat I can substitute God's will with my own.

My Prayer: Lord, I know your will for my life is great and it is perfect.  I have seen how my life has played out and I am truly blessed that you are in my life and you are in control.  Thank you for the many blessings you have bestowed on me.  Forgive me when I try to substitute my own will.  Help me love you more every day, draw closer to you every day, and be more like you every day.