Monday, November 22, 2010

Help Me See How Difficult Circumstances Are For God's Glory

Today's Reading
Ruth Chps 1-4

Naomi's husband and two sons both died and she then grieved and felt "afflicted" by the Lord:

20 “Don’t call me Naomi,” she told them. “Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. 21 I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty. Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.”  (Ruth 1:20-21)

This of course is natural - I would do this too (and I have).  Key though is to take a step back and instead ask the question, how is God using me and my experiences for his glory and what blessings may result either for me or others?

Ultimately, the blessing was the birth of Obed, the grandfather of David.

13 So Boaz took Ruth and she became his wife. When he made love to her, the LORD enabled her to conceive, and she gave birth to a son. 14 The women said to Naomi: “Praise be to the LORD, who this day has not left you without a guardian-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel! 15 He will renew your life and sustain you in your old age. For your daughter-in-law, who loves you and who is better to you than seven sons, has given him birth.” 

 16 Then Naomi took the child in her arms and cared for him. 17 The women living there said, “Naomi has a son!” And they named him Obed. He was the father of Jesse, the father of David. (Ruth 4:13-17)

My Prayer: Lord, I understand that your plans while not revealed to me, are great and I am humbled that you would use me for your glory.  You are great and I am truly humbled that you can use me.  Forgive me when I don't see this.  Help me see how my current experiences are for your glory that I may find joy no matter the circumstances and bring glory to you each and every day.  Help me desire you more every day, draw closer to you, be more like you, trust you more, and be obedient to you.