Monday, April 8, 2019

And he went outside and wept bitterly.

Luke 22

And he went outside and wept bitterly. v62

We all know the passage of how Peter denies Jesus three times before the roster crows, just as Jesus indicated to Peter the prior evening.  Peter is obviously feeling threatened and understandably denies Jesus out of fear for his life.  The question becomes - what would each of us do when perhaps confronted with a "gun to our head" by someone seeking to do harm to Christians?  While it may be difficult to tackle this question hypothetically, John Piper takes a crack at it here.

Piper refers to Matthew 10 where it says: "[b]ut whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven" (v33) and "[a]nyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me" (v37)

Another question arises which is: can I lose my salvation once saved? Piper takes a crack at this also. 

I am not going to resolve these questions this morning, but I am nonetheless encouraged by the scripture referenced by Piper in his posts:

If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 1 Peter 4:14

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Matthew 10:28

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who sustains and protects me every day from harm of all kinds - thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of Your love and protection.  I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.