Wednesday, April 10, 2019

He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will.

Luke 23

He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will. v25

While all of the gospels (Matthew 27, Mark 15, John 19) include the account of Jesus before Pilate, only Luke includes this language that Pilate "surrendered Jesus to their will" and my focus is on use of the word "will" because typically this word is used to describe God's will for our lives and how we can determine and follow God's will for our lives.  

I started this morning by looking for the Greek words of the text - found here which indicates the Greek word used here for "will" is θέλημα (pronounced thay-lay-ma-ti).

When "will" is used in the context of people following their "own" vs God's will for their lives - it implies either a weak personal or no personal relationship with Jesus as the definition for will includes following a human "desire" or "pleasure" vs finding joy and fulfillment through Christ.

There is NOTHING in this world that can fill the holes in our heart that ONLY Jesus can fill.

I have previously posted on God's will for our lives and used Romans 12:2 to illustrate how daily study of God's Word serves to renew our minds and direct our thoughts towards God.

John Piper has an OUTSTANDING post on this topic.

Dallas Willard should also be considered.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has transformed my heart, mind and life - thank You Jesus for doing a work in my life!  I know You are not done and I need more of You in my life - my sin of course persists!  I worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.