Thursday, April 18, 2019

“How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

John 1

“How do you know me?” Nathanael asked. Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.” v48

In v29-50, we see Jesus baptized by John (see also accounts in the other Gospels here), and Jesus' calling of the first disciples.  Although at this point in Jesus' ministry there are indications these men had a sense of who Jesus is (see v41, 45, 49), there are other indications later in John and in the other Gospels that demonstrate these men have an incomplete awareness and understanding of what it meant to follow Jesus.  My sense is that this is true today even for most new believers save those who might live in persecuted locations where it is dangerous to follow Jesus.  

Jesus says we must deny ourselves and give up everything as the cost of our faith.

Yet for those believers who have taken the time to allow Jesus into their heart and lives through daily study and prayer, we know there is a surpassing worth of Jesus vs the world.

Part of this surpassing worth of knowing Jesus are the Fruits of the Spirit, and of course eternal life.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who gives me life - to the full...in this life and in Heaven!  Thank You Jesus!  I am undeserving of such gifts.  I worry, and I stress, too much...please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouse to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.