Sunday, April 7, 2019

But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.

Luke 22

But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him. v51

I have previously posted on hardened hearts, including recently.  I find it striking here that Peter (see John 18) would cut off the ear of one of the high priest's servants and then in response to Jesus' amazing grace - He immediately heals the man even though the mob came to arrest Him - the chief priests, the officers of the temple guard, and the elders' hardness of heart persisted with Jesus' arrest and ultimate crucifixion.  I know Jesus HAD to go to the cross, but I can't help but wonder about the extent to which the Jewish leaders' hearts were pricked even a tiny amount by Jesus, His teachings, and His ministry. Both Nicodemus and Gamaliel strike me as Jewish leaders who both AT LEAST acted in an open-minded manner to Jesus - check out this commentary that discusses the leadership of both these men as models for church leadership.  Also, in poking around, I found that the Catholic church recognizes Gamaliel as a saint, and Gamaliel is portrayed in a very famous painting "Saint Stephen Mourned by Saints Gamaliel and Nicodemus".

For us, we should ALL be mindful to our own hardness of heart, not just about Jesus but also about any hardness of heart that may exist in AREAS of life as even believers can have stubborn pockets of this hardness in our lives.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus thank You for continuing to prick my heart and working to prevent me from hardness of heart.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love and grace.  I daily miss the mark and I know I am stubborn and closed minded in at least several areas of my life.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouse to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.