Tuesday, July 13, 2021

But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

Romans 9-10

But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it. Deuteronomy 30:14 
 
This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter fourteen The Faithful Evangelist, which covers Romans 9:30-10:21.  My focus today is Romans 10:5-10:13, which my commentary refers to under the heading The Necessity of Faith in Christ.  As Paul continues (see post yesterday and previous posts) to describe how with Christ faith alone provides salvation, he describes how our heart condition is key to salvation (v9-10). Paul quotes Deuteronomy 30:14 and the words Moses communicated to Israel as he described "[h]ow to love God and keep His commandments" and communicated various important encouragements and warnings associated with walking with God. The verses this morning include one of the most quoted in all of the Bible as many refer to it as key to a believer answering the call from God to believe (ie: altar call):
 
[I]f you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. Romans 10:9-10
 
My commentary this morning points additional Old Testament references by Paul in v10:5-13, including Leviticus 18:5 (10:5), and Deuteronomy 9:4 and 30:12-13 (10:6-7). The commentary indicates that Paul inserts "Christ" into his reference of Deuteronomy 30:12-13 and his discussion of how God and the Word is not "far off" and inaccessible and how we are only able to access God through Christ and not of our own doing: "[w]e cannot descend and be raised on our own, but Christ has done it for us!" Similarly, the commentary points out how in v10: 6 Paul partially uses Deuteronomy 9:4 but inserts language specific to the New Covenant based on Christ: "[i]n Deuteronomy 9:4 God says that Israel is not going to enter the land because of their righteousness but because of his promise--that is because of God's grace and faithfulness.  Saving faith recognizes that righteousness does not come from ourselves, for we cannot keep God's law perfectly; it is by God's grace alone through faith alone that we are saved."  We are encouraged to look back on Romans 10:2 where our heart should demonstrate "zeal for God". My commentary then points to how Paul uses yet another Old Testament reference in v10:11 by quoting Isaiah 28:16. Finally, in v10:13, Paul uses a reference from Joel 2:32. In v10:12-13, we are reminded by Paul that believers are to come from all nations. The commentary ends by encouraging us to see how it is ONLY through belief in Jesus that we are saved - emphasizing that other views such as those from Universalists are to be rejected. We are to snatch others from the fire with a sense of urgency and focus on how this is done - through God alone.


My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and You alone save - thank You Jesus for willingly surrendering Your life so that I can have salvation and life to the full among the many riches You provide as a child of God.  I am not deserving of salvation and these riches - I worry...far too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.