Tuesday, July 20, 2021

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

Romans 12

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. Romans 12:3
 
This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter sixteen Living in View of God's Mercy, which covers Romans 12:1-16.  My focus today is Romans 12:3-16, which my commentary refers to under the heading Offer Yourself to Your Church.  As my post yesterday indicates, Romans 12 includes extensive "imperatives" in light of the "mercies" and grace Paul describes previously to Romans 12. These imperatives include:
  • Do not think of yourself highly; do not be haughty or be wise in your own sight; think of yourself with sober judgement - clearly and with an eye towards how we are all sinful and in needed of God's correction and molding; be humble and associate with those in need (v12:3,16)
  • Give of our time generously to the church and others based on our and others' gifting (v12:4-8); see also 1 Corinthians 12
  • Love others and hold fast to what is good - just as God does, hate sin and evil (v12:9)
  • Support and encourage one another (v12:10, 15)
  • Be joyful/cheerful and full of zeal (v12:11)
  • Be patient in our trials (v12:12)
  • Pray (v12:12)
  • Provide and give to ministries in your church; offer up possessions (home, etc.) as hospitality (v12:13)
  • Bless those who persecute you; be harmonious (v12:16)

For this morning, my focus is on these imperatives as an appropriate response to God's grace and mercy.  My commentary states and emphasizes how this morning's text urges us to live together and in unity in the church, depending on each other to fulfill the church's mission and strengthening the church. We are to see the imperatives here is not exhaustive as the commentary refers to the imperatives here as "teaching and serving gifts" whereas elsewhere in scripture there is focus on verbal and non verbal gifts. Teaching gifts are emphasized to be seen as practical, spiritual and for exhortation (i.e. "comforting, encouraging, pleading"). Bottom line, gifts are to be used for the good of the church and its mission. 

Given the substance and degree of material worthy of review from today's commentary - I end my time today pausing after a review of the commentary that looks at 12:3-8 and will pick up tomorrow with the commentary looking at 12:9-16. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the Church and for providing brothers and sisters in Christ with whom I can serve and grow in relationship in Christ and experience greater fullness of life. What a tremendous blessing.  I am not deserving of how You knit together the church and how it blesses me. My sins are great and they continue.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.