Monday, July 26, 2021

So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Romans 14-15

So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Romans 14:12

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter eighteen Gospel Unity, which covers Romans 14:1-15:13.  My focus today is v14:1-12, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Liberty." With the start of Romans 14, Paul moves from a focus on living in the light (with urgency) and on loving others (including  enemies), to a warning that we not judge other believers over inconsequential matters and not to "quarrel over opinions" (v14:1). Paul argues his case that regardless of whether someone "observes the day," "eats,' or "abstains," as long as they honor and give thanks to the Lord - their worship is proper in the eyes of the Lord.  "Honor of the Lord" and "thanks to God" are mentioned thrice and twice respectively - underscoring Paul's point. Paul wraps up these verses with a sober reminder how all will face the Day of Judgement (including with reference to Isaiah 45:23), implying that our primary focus should be that each invidividual believer pursue holiness and their own journey with God. 

My commentary points out that Paul sought to drive unity among believers who focused on strict adherence to cultural and social practices (i.e. eating, etc.) versus those who ate "anything" and found freedom from the law - the commentary refers to the latter as perhaps stronger more mature Christians and likely Gentiles in Paul's day as Jews were more likely to follow the Mosaic ceremonial law even as believers.  Regardless, Paul, again drives unity among both camps around the gospel and Jesus Christ.  The commentary goes further to describe "three levels of importance" (1) matters essential for salvation, (2) matters important to the faith and the church but not important for salvation, and (3) matters of indifference--debatable nonessentials/preferences.  We should unify around (1) and (2) and not let (3) divide the church. Stronger believers should not condemn or judge weaker believers and vice-versa. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who placed supportive and encouraging brothers and sisters in Christ in my life - those who don't judge or condemn me for inconsequential matters.  They also encourage and support me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings!  My sin continues - again worry!  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose Your as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.