Monday, July 19, 2021

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Romans 12

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Romans 12:1 
 
This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter sixteen Living in View of God's Mercy, which covers Romans 12:1-16.  My focus today is Romans 12:1-2, which my commentary refers to under the heading Offer Yourself to God. On the heels of Paul's closing marks in Romans 11, where Paul marvels at the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God, as well as His judgements and ways, Paul then pushes us to - therefore (v12:1) - be a living sacrifice - to serve and love God out of an outpouring of gratitude for what He has done for us and continues to do for us as He provide for all of our needs - physical, emotional, and spiritual.   We are also cautioned to avoid conformity to the world, but instead to seek Him and how nearness to God can help us avoid this by directing our thoughts and desires to be more in line with Him. 

My commentary describes how Romans 12 moves from the "indicatives (the grammar of certainty and actuality)" of the gospel to the "imperatives (the grammar of commands)." We are to "rejoice in the glorious indicatives of the gospel!  The facts of the gospel have caused us to soar in worship throughout Romans, and now they give the proper basis for practical obedience.  God's grace should not make us lazy or passive but passionate and devoted to God, and this passion is 'rooted in faith and energized by the power of the Holy Spirit.' We are to see how Romans 12:1 echoes words expressed by Paul in Romans 6:13 and 6:19. The commentary describes how Paul highlights 'living sacrifice' as a form of dedication - the use of the word "sacrifice" along with "temple," and "priesthood," is used "without the actual physical apparatus associated with them...sacrifice is metaphorically applied to Christian service."  We are encouraged not only to offer our bodies to God (v12:1), but also our mind (v12:2).  We must avoid how worldly influences lead to a "polluted mind...[and] life." If we are able to orient our bodies and minds to God through scripture, worship, prayer, service, etc. then "we will be able to recognize and appreciate what honors God, and we can then set ourselves to obey his will."


My Prayer: Heavenly Father - what an awesome God You are that You offer the Holy Spirit to advocate for me and to assist me...with all things.  Thank You Jesus for the Holy Spirit and for how You never leave or forsake me and how You have molded me...it has not always been easy but that is not what You promise.  I am blessed by all that You have done and what You continue to do.  Yet I am not deserving.  My sin of worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve, You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.