Monday, July 12, 2021

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Romans 9-10

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Romans 10:4
 
This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I started chapter fourteen The Faithful Evangelist, which covers Romans 9:30-10:21.  My focus today is Romans 9:30-10:4, which my commentary refers to under the heading The Intensity of Paul's Burden. Here, Paul continues to express anguish (see previous few days posts covering Romans 9) over Jewish unbelief by contrasting how the Gentiles achieved righteousness through faith but the Jewish people largely sought righteousness through works (v9:32). Paul quotes Isaiah once more in v33, and how Jesus was prophesied to become the Messiah and cornerstone of the church. His anguish spills over into chapter 10 where he shares how he believes the Jews had "zeal for God, but not according to knowledge....seeking to establish their own [righteousness]" (v10:2-3). In v10:4, Paul states that for those who believe in Christ, they are justified - not based on works or obedience to the law but on based on faith and God's grace. 
 
My commentary encourages me to notice the intensity of Paul's burden for Israel in 10:1-4. Just as Paul is "burdened" or heartbroken for unbelievers we should be as well and be both humble and graceful about it.  We should thank God for conversion and belief in some, and pray for unbelievers at the same time. 
 
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who gave me faith - not based on anything I did but because You loved me and because You are full of patience, compassion, mercy and grace - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love.  I am sinful - full of harsh words, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.