Tuesday, July 27, 2021

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Romans 14-15

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Romans 14:19

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter eighteen Gospel Unity, which covers Romans 14:1-15:13.  My focus today is v14:13-23, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Love." Here, Paul picks up where he left off (see post yesterday) and focuses again on how we must avoid judgement of one another in the church - unity is important. He uses ceremonially unclean foods again as the example to make his point that "[t]he kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" (v14:17).  Service, honor and worship of God (akin to "matters of importance" level 2) from yesterday's commentary are important in God's eyes so there is where we should focus (as well as "matters of importance" level 3). We are to pursue "what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding" (v14:19) and "not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God" (v14:20) - we must not do so for any unessential/inconsequential/debatable matter of faith (level 1).  

My commentary looks at today's verses and emphasizes that, particularly for stronger or more mature believers, are not to flaunt freedom in Christ in front of weaker, less mature believers - we are not to put any "stumbling block" or "hindrance" in the way of a believer (v14:13) as this would not be "walking in love" (v14:15a).  We are warned not to "destroy the one for whom Christ died" (v14:15b). Once again - church unity is important! We are encouraged to follow Paul's lead by looking at his words from 1 Corinthians 9:19-23. The commentary goes further on the subject of "flaunting" freedom in Christ with weaker believers by warning us to look at v14:22 and to see that we are not "to broadcast your views on disputable matters, trying to convince people that you are right."  A useful saying is provided: "[i]n essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, but in all things charity."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - You are an awesome God who loves me and who has saved me - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your grace and mercy.  I am often impatient with younger, weaker believers.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.