Saturday, September 28, 2024

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Galatians 5:22-26

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.  If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

This morning, I come back to preparation for leading worship services at the Gardens and the Lodge on behalf of my church. The focus of the message is Fruit of the Spirit - specifically love.  My preparation today leans on DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video lab series for Galatians 5:22-26 (Part 1)

Excerpts from the video:

  • The focus of Part 1 (this video lab) is v22; while subsequent videos explore the remaining vv23-26
  • John Piper first refers back to Galatians 5:19-21 where Paul contrasts fruit of the Spirit (good) with bad fruit as produced by the desires of the flesh: "works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these."
  • Matthew 7:17 also refers to fruit both good and bad - Jesus has no problem referring to "bad" things as bad fruit
  • Fruit of the Spirit is discussed as not being passive - it does take effort; good fruit is emphasized as giving life; see also Romans 8:2-6
  • Walking by the Spirit v16 produces fruit (miracles); trusting (faith) in the promises of God - Galatians 3:5

 

 John Piper then discusses and provides a summary of the fruit of the Spirit (see above).

  • The fruit as listed is not distinct but they all relate back to love. 

Piper recaps the video by sharing that if we live by the life giving Spirit, you are free from the condemnation of the law (both by Christ's sacrifice and because of how You abide in Him in Your walking in fellowship with Christ).

Believe in Him and experience this freedom!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who produces fruit in me - not because of anything I am doing but because You are love and You are full of amazing grace and You give these things to me as gift.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of these gifts.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.