Sunday, September 22, 2024

To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

1 Timothy 1:17

To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:17

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series - picking up with 1 Timothy 1:17, with the video entitled Why Paul Soars into Doxology

Excerpts from the video: 

  • John Piper proposes that Paul writes such a doxology because he values eternal life (particularly as he has just expressed this value in vv12-16)
  • The first four attributes of the doxology are relevant for eternity: sovereign over all time and all eternity, immortal (not subject to decay), invisible (not material), only God (no competitors to defeat Him or bring Him to an end); all these attributes serve Paul's doxology (or short hymn to praise God)
  • In praise, we ascribe honor (dignity, integrity, greatness, virtue, worth) and glory (greatness, majesty, beauty, worth, radiance of honor)
  • Praising will not cease...ever...this is how Paul feels about his salvation and how we should as well. 

We should treasure eternal life and the eternal God underneath this life. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for my eternal life and salvation - of course I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.