Tuesday, September 24, 2024

This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare[.]

1 Timothy 1:18-20

This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare[.] 1 Timothy 1:18-19a

I continue with my study of 1 and 2 Timothy using DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book video series - picking up with 1 Timothy 1:18-20 - Part 2, with the video entitled Pastor, Soldier, Athlete, Farmer, Manager

Excerpts from the video:
  • With a focus on v18, John Piper first explores the metaphors Paul uses in the pastoral epistles, including soldier, athlete, farmer, manager (see also 2 Timothy 2:3-6, Titus 1:7, 1 Timothy 1:3-6); these are examples for whom the church elder or pastor must strive
  • The means by which these efforts are made is by faith, good conscience which lead to love and ultimately to win others for the kingdom (see also Titus 1:1-2)
  • The war is waged for eternal life

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who first loved me - while I was still hostile and an enemy of You.  Thank You for Your amazing grace.  I am not deserving of such grace nor my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.