Wednesday, September 25, 2024

“Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.”

Deuteronomy 32:46-47

“Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess.” Deuteronomy 32:46-47

Given I have caught up with and am now ahead with where John Piper is in recording his videos on 1 and 2 Timothy for DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book series, this morning I lean on the Solid Joys daily devotion, which today explores how believers must hang on to the Word of God as a matter of life and death.  

Excerpts from the video:
  • Our physical life depends on the Word of God; see also Psalm 33:6, Hebrews 11:3, 1:3
  • Our spiritual life begins by the Word of God; see also James 1:18, 1 Peter 1:23
  • We go on living and are sustained by the Word of God Matthew 4:4, Deuteronomy 8:3
  • "So our physical life is created and upheld by the word of God, and our spiritual life is quickened and sustained by the word of God. How many stories could be gathered to bear witness to the life-giving power of the word of God! Indeed, the Bible is “no empty word for you” — it is your life! The foundation of all joy is life. Nothing is more fundamental than sheer existence — our creation and our preservation."   

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, indeed, I know that the Word is You and I have the Word that gives me life and sustains me through all things and carries me through to the end when I will meet You face to face - thank You for giving me Your Word and for speaking to me through Your Word.  I am greatly blessed....beyond words.  Thank You.  Yet I am undeserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.