Friday, September 27, 2024

I shall walk in [freedom], for I have sought your precepts.

Psalm 119:45

I shall walk in [freedom], for I have sought your precepts. Psalm 119:45

Given I have caught up with and am now ahead with where John Piper is in recording his videos on 1 and 2 Timothy for DesiringGod.com's Look at the Book series, this morning I lean on the Solid Joys daily devotion, which today explores Christian freedom.  John Piper describes how Christian freedom is found in freedom from "what we hate (sin) and free for what we love (God)."  He uses Psalm 119:45 and shares how we find this freedom in a daily relationship with God where we dive into His Word and we hear God speak into our heart and lives.  Excerpts from the devotion:

  • "The word frees us from smallness of mind. “God gave Solomon . . . breadth of mind like the sand on the seashore” (1 Kings 4:29). The word frees us from threatening confinements. “He brought me out into a broad place” (Psalm 18:19)."
  • "Jesus says, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32). The freedom he has in mind is freedom from the slavery of sin (John 8:34). Or, to put it positively, it is freedom for holiness."
  • "[W]hen we trust the promises of God, we sever the root of corruption and sinful desire by the power of a superior promise."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for the freedom You provide, and for my salvation!  I am not deserving of the joy found in the freedom You provide nor my salvation.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.