Friday, February 4, 2011

Blind Faith...God Really Does Provide

Today's Reading
1 Kings Chp 17

This is a well known story, yet once again I am reminded that God does love me and his love, protection, guidance, and provision is always there for me, even in my darkest hours.  It has been very difficult for me at work and I have been neglecting my study and quiet time with the Lord...yet here the Lord is - in this story - showing me faith in him truly does produce results.

Here, such faith is blind faith.  A woman and her son at wit's end find themselves with only enough food for one more meal - truly a desperate situation.  Yet, on request and without any resistance, she willingly gives up this food based on Elijah's promise that God will provide.

13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD sends rain on the land.’”  (verses 13-14)

...

15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah.  (verses 15-16)

Her faith in Elijah's God is tested once more with the illness of her son, yet once again, God comes through and finally, the woman sees and accepts Truth:

24 Then the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the LORD from your mouth is the truth.”  (verse 24)

My Prayer: Lord, your provision is great and it manifests itself in so many ways - all of this despite my sin and my neglect of you.  Forgive me for my sin and my neglect. Help me deepen my faith.  Help me seek you out more.  Help me trust you more.  Help me love you more.  Help me follow you and obey you more.